5 Basic Health Tips That Actually Work
With ever changing trends in health and nutrition trying to commit or even start to live a healthy and active lifestyle can be overwhelming, but there are just some things that are tried, true, and here to stay.
As "they" say, breakfast is the most important meal of the day and for good reason. For one, eating a healthy and balanced breakfast can set you up for success where as not having breakfast at all, let alone an unhealthy one can slow down your productivity and performance for the day. I've always been a breakfast person and I notice the difference in my productivity on days where I may have an unhealthy breakfast or no breakfast at all.
- On days where I have to be up early and out the door by 5:30 AM, I prepare a mason jar of overnight oats the night before (hence the name, "Overnight Oats") and I can just grab and go out the door before the sun even comes up.
- On days where I have a little more time to actually make breakfast, I opt for a veggies egg white omelette with a slice of Ezekiel toast on the side and a cup of fruit (whatever fruit I have in the fridge)
- I use to be a smoothie wave for a minute but lately I haven't been making many breakfast smoothies. My go to breakfast smoothie when I am craving one is usually a green smoothie with chia or flax seeds thrown in with a scoop of super food powered or a Golden Milk Smoothie.
Those that know me personally know that I do not play about my sleep. My body naturally shuts down at about 9:30 and I like to be sleep by 10:00PM (my body naturally wakes up around 6:30AM) and on days where I may have to be up earlier than that it's not a chore for me to get out of bed. To be honest, I like to get a good night's rest because I know it is good for my skin and I love feeling rejuvenated when I wake up the next day.
- Not getting a proper rest can cause fatigue, reduce stamina, as well as slow down your motor and cognitive skills. Basically it makes it harder for you to get shit done, as I'm sure most of us know this all too well.
- Sleeps helps to amp up your immune system (more sleep, less annoying colds)
- Schedule your sleep like you schedule your day, I use the Bedtime feature on the iPhone and I love it! You literally put in the time you have to wake up and the hours of rest you are looking to get and it tells you what time you need to go to sleep and you are able to set your own bedtime alert to remind you before it is actually time to go to bed.
DITCH THE SODA , MORE WATER
- Soda is sweetened with artificial sugars and high-fructose corn syrup (that doesn't even sound attractive enough to drink). According to a study in the Journal of Nutrition, consuming large amounts of fructose results in increased intra-abdominal fat (hence that lower belly fat most of us can't seem to make disappear).
- Let's steer clear of sugary drinks completely, I always have fun infusing my water with different fruits and herbs and a cute infuser water bottle to drink it out of never hurts either.
- Water promotes weight loss, in my opinion the more water the better.
- One of my favorite reasons to drink water is that it improves your skin complexion and flushes out toxins, these two reasons alone is why you will always see me with a bottle in hand . . . and of course a champagne flute in the other.
- Okay so I do not promote dissing bread from my diet completely, in my opinion bread in moderation is okay like most things in moderation are.
- However, not all bread (carbs in general) is created equal. Diets rich in "dense acellular carbohydrates" promote inflammation and weight gain.
- Whole grain bread (not to be confused with whole wheat) is said to have more nutritional value and keep you fuller longer.
- I swear by Ezekiel bread ( love the cinnamon raisin one in the morning or as a midday snack). Ezekiel bread is made from organic,sprouted whole grains and contains no added sugars. One tip I will say when purchasing Ezekiel bread is that I keep mine in the fridge (or freezer if I'm not going to enjoy it right away) because it will go bed within 3 days if left out and not eaten consistently.
- Salt doesn't necessarily contribute to belly fat but it will contribute to your bloat, and with Coachella and summer around the corner we don't need that.
- To minimize your salt intake replace salt with fresh herbs and spices instead, plus it makes your meals look pretty!
- Ginger, basil, and turmeric help to kick up a meal in a healthy and colorful way.
What are some health tips that work for you? Share your tips in the comments below would love to incorporate new healthy ways in my lifestyle!